Coinciding with the centenary anniversary of the Battle of the Somme, Red Ladder Theatre Company, Carriageworks Theatre and Leeds Civic Arts Guild present new play Leeds Lads, with words and music by Anthony Clavane and Nick Stimson
A young woman’s journey into Leeds’ secret, inspiring past
It’s 2016. Tara stands on the steps of Leeds Town Hall on the day the city commemorates the Leeds Pals at the Battle of the Somme. She holds in her hand her great grandfather’s medal for bravery. Why should Tara care about the past when the present seems so bleak?
Celebrate Tara’s story as she discovers the sacrifice of her forefathers and how these have moulded the community that surrounds her today.
Breathing life into the characters of Leeds’s past, this vibrant production transports you from the turmoil and tensions of war, to the rich and multi-cultural city we know today. Leeds Lads is a new play about the people of Leeds past and present – their fears, their love and their friendships, performed by the people of Leeds today for the people of Leeds.
A community cast of 40 local performers and musicians will be joined by Leeds Rhinos and Great Britain international Rugby League player Jamie Jones-Buchanan for his debut appearance on stage.
- Nobody puts their child in a boat unless the sea is safer than the land., 22 mins ago
- RT @Johnludds: Here u go ladies and gents: GOMEZ: Can be pre-ordered at below web site https://t.co/wf38e7sQz6 #boxing Please RT https://t.co/WNVKo27jby, 16 hours ago
- RT @NorthofWatford: Client #SianMurray completes week of development on #Tricolour @BugLightTheatre #RodDixon @RedLadderTheatr directs https://t.co/F6Qku5iGXD, 18 hours ago
- Off to @Carriagewrx to see if #Life&Soul works in front of an audience. Always exciting/terrifying ...., 18 hours ago
- RT @CollEnc: Booking is now open for Rediscovering the Radical, our theatre for social change conference. #politicaltheatre #RtR https://t.co/oui8Rc95xg, May 26
- RT @matthewcknights: @iceandfire_E1 @finborough @CollEnc @RedLadderTheatr #PoliticalTheatre, May 26