Audition for Mother Courage!
This October we are celebrating Red Ladder’s 50th birthday with a production of Bertolt Brecht’s Mother Courage and her Children, starring Pauline McLynn (Father Ted, Eastenders, Shameless, East is East, Samuel Beckett’s Happy Days….)
We need a community chorus who can sing well in character and move the audience along with the action. We want it to be representative of Leeds communities. We want you to be in it!
Pauline McLynn is playing the iconic title role of Mother Courage, performing alongside a cast of eight brilliant actor-musicians. Chumbawamba‘s Boff Whalley is composing new songs and singer Beccy Owen is the musical director of this immersive show, which will be performed in Albion Electric warehouse in Hunslet, Leeds.
Mother Courage and Her Children is set during the Thirty Years War in the 17th Century – at the end of the medieval period and the beginning of Capitalism. The play is about how businesses makes profit out of war and the rest of us suffer. The play is about refugees and migrants, war crimes and cruelty. But the Lee Hall version we are doing is also very FUNNY!
We will ask a great deal of commitment from our chorus. They will perform every other night from September 27th to October 20th. Our community chorus will be performing alongside the cast – as part of the Mother Courage Company.
Come and audition! We are running several workshops, which will be friendly informal group auditions across four different locations and dates, as follows:
Monday 30th July, 6pm – 8pm Mandela Community Centre, Chapeltown Road, LS8 3HY
Wednesday, 1st August, 6pm – 8pm at First Floor, above Leeds Playhouse’s Costume Hire, St Peter’s Square, LS9 8AH
Thursday, 2nd August, 6pm – 8pm at Swarthmore Education Centre, 2-7 Woodhouse Square, Leeds LS3 1AD
We will be looking for over 18s with:
• Group singing experience in a choir, band, etc.
• The ability to take musical direction
• A willingness to explore performance and to develop new skills
• Enough availability to fully commit to both rehearsals and performances
• Have fun
• Learn new skills
• Make new friends
• Grow in confidence
What to bring:
• Yourself, in comfortable clothing and footwear
• Drinks and a packed lunch
Call 0113 245 5311 or email Rod Dixon on firstname.lastname@example.org to book your place at one of our audition workshops.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Rod & the Red Ladder team
- @NatashaHarrison Horrible - what kind of education have these pigs had that gives them the right to treat women this way???, 5 hours ago
- RT @paulmasonnews: @DominicRaab @jeremycorbyn @Keir_Starmer Your shit-scared robot leader would not debate Jeremy - why should he deba… https://t.co/cx47XD8pwz, 6 hours ago
- RT @DerbyChrisW: Unbelievable! @AmberRuddHR just told the Today prog on R4 that #UniversalCredit is "a force for good." No it isn'… https://t.co/dvK0lyHQ2a, 6 hours ago
- I just discovered LP - here she sings Into the Wild (Bing Lounge) https://t.co/MSMWkmCNe8 via @YouTube, 20 hours ago
- RT @dumbdrunkpeople: This drunk guy. 😂 https://t.co/FPkD1S2O95, 21 hours ago
- @boffwhalley @danielbye I had a Ron Hill tm Goretex tm rainsuit. Grey. I looked like a silver wraith, 21 hours ago